Old 10-01-2010   #1
mr_j
Community Moderator

Thanked 2,076 Times in 1,156 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 34 Times in 27 Posts
Default banning of the burka

we haven't had a debate in a long time, so I am starting one

a few weeks ago, france declared a total ban on the burka, with a fine to any woman seen wearing it, and a huge fine (tens of thousands of euro) to any man suspected to be forcign it on his wife and daughter (or other related females)
and recently I heard the netherlands is about to pass a similiar law

some find these laws to be fair, so that all citizens in the society will not be distinguishable from one another, it will also help muslim women to blend in society and not be discriminated against, others see the law as anti islamic and against freedom of worship, since it dictates on people that they are not permitted to wear that specific dress

so the questions are, what do you think about it?

and for those who will say it is against religious beliefs, how far can religious beliefs be allowed to have space? if my religion tells me that I should walk shirtless at all times, can I impose it on the government to respect it? can I cry out "prejudism" if a bank refuses to hire me as a teller because I refuse to wear any shirts?

discuss

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr_j For This Useful Post:
-t-o-n-y- (10-01-2010), SysTaMatIcS (10-01-2010)
Old 10-01-2010   #2
RUSSIAN
Registered Member

Groans: 23
Groaned at 16 Times in 13 Posts

It isn't about freedom, it is about switching ppl's mind to things which are not importent.
And it also isn't about religion, if you're so religious, don't live in such country who "don't respect your religion", choose another one. I really can't find, how the person can live in a place full of *****s and gays (no sarcasm here) when his/her religion denies all such things?
H@SSąN (10-01-2010), mr_j (10-01-2010)
Old 10-01-2010   #3
chady28
Registered Member

Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

so , obviously , banning Burqa For Muslim women ( native or foreigner) is some kind of a discrimination against the religious right of those Muslim Women ?

i don't care about France neither About religion Itself , but just take a look atwhat is happening in KSA ! Man Religion other then Islam there Are called names by Moutawi3ins ....................
I am not talking about Religion and i don't endorse Sarcosy or like what he did , but it is his country and he is free to do whatever
chady28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010   #4
mr_j
Community Moderator

Thanked 2,076 Times in 1,156 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 34 Times in 27 Posts

of course he is free to do whatever, we are not questioning whether it is legal or not, it is definitely legal and constitutional, I am asking if you think it is right and just.
Old 10-01-2010   #5
SysTaMatIcS
Registered Member

Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,546 Posts
Groans: 186
Groaned at 198 Times in 120 Posts

Am with the ban , a habit that is 1500 years old that lived in the age of islam was carried on as a part of islam , its not requested by religion to wear as a ninja , and i feel like am living in the dark ages when i see a woman wearing things like that , i dont feel like their human .
IM@D (10-01-2010), mr_j (10-01-2010)
Old 10-01-2010   #6
KeXasthur
Registered Member

Thanked 1,119 Times in 872 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts

wtf how can anyone be with the ban ? I hate religion and this is worst than religion. This is even more "organized" than religion. Yes this whole burka phenomena may be out of hand but nothing should be forced to change it even if it's "for the better".

Sarkozy just wants to see more naked skin, whereas if he really wants he can just take a look at his wife all he wants. Bunch of horny men.

P.S: I am ok with the fine for anyone forcing someone else to wear it.
KeXasthur is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KeXasthur For This Useful Post:
mr_j (10-02-2010)
Old 10-01-2010   #7
Adam
Registered Member

Thanked 1,235 Times in 689 Posts
Groans: 25
Groaned at 21 Times in 19 Posts

I believe that people should be allowed to wear whatever they want, as long as it is not seen as offending in the society they live in.

If a person wants to wear shorts/bikini, that person may do than and if a person wants to wear a long sleeve sweater/Hijab, that person may also do that.

However, I do see as walking naked or walking in a Burka as a stretch. Especially if that does not comply with the norms of the society that you live in.
Sitting naked in a sauna might be OK in Finland but not Italy.
Walking around in public covered in black from head to toe might be OK in Iran but not Germany.

Personally, I would be for the ban on the Burka in countries where it's not native. Not only does it not comply with the norms of the 21th century but it's also not required by any religion. It's just something that was normal in the past that some people still linger on about.
Again, because it's something relatively normal in countries like Lebanon, I would be against such a ban in those countries.

People must learn to respect the traditions and the ways of other peoples countries. If you move to a European country then maybe you should switch from Burka to Hijab and if you move from a European country to a more conservative one the maybe you should show a little less skin.

And from an Islamic point of view, I say to all: Islam is not a religion that's made for Middle eastern traditions. We have countless of actions that we consider haram in our countries, that are in fact not supported by the Quraan and in some cases condemned by it. These things are usually based on (old) traditions.
My life generally complies with the Quraan while generally complying with the European lifestyle.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Adam For This Useful Post:
-t-o-n-y- (10-02-2010), mr_j (10-02-2010), SysTaMatIcS (10-02-2010)
Old 10-01-2010   #8
RUSSIAN
Registered Member

Groans: 23
Groaned at 16 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I believe that people should be allowed to wear whatever they want, as long as it is not seen as offending in the society they live in.
It is the central question. Those jokers say that it offend them and that it offends those women (they even don't leave them a right to decide when they are offended)
Adam (10-01-2010)
Old 10-01-2010   #9
Adam
Registered Member

Thanked 1,235 Times in 689 Posts
Groans: 25
Groaned at 21 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSIAN View Post
It is the central question. Those jokers say that it offend them and that it offends those women (they even don't leave them a right to decide when they are offended)
I agree with you, I believe that the main reason for the ban in France is the politicians (not all) hate for Islam. But I would vote for a ban if it was proposed for the right reasons. Like, security, integration or quality of life.

But the problem is actually bigger than this issue.
We are also to blame here, immigrants in western Europe usually take advantage of those countries welfare institutions and their behavior is shameless.

I used to live in a city where almost half of it's people where from Arab nations. I was hell itself.
The people were arrogant, mostly criminals (if you asked them, they'd say "we are believers and we fear God") and chaotic. Imagine every problem that exists in Lebanon being brought to a fully functional society. They throw trash in the streets, they drive like they are in a F1 race, they spit on and curse the natives (even though it's they who helped them), don't pay taxes and they steal from the government (taxpayer money). And at the end of the day they act like they are saints, why? because according to them they can't be doing wrong because they fear God (yeah right!).

I've had four of my relatives from Lebanon visit me, and all of them got chocked when they saw the Lebanese acting as they do. They all asked me questions along the lines of "Why doesn't the Swedish government drag those people out of their homes and send them back to their country?".

These people hide behind Islam and the laws that protect religion in these countries. And because of that, the western population blames Islam.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adam For This Useful Post:
H@SSąN (10-01-2010), TAREK® (10-01-2010)
Old 10-01-2010   #10
TAREK®
~ Golden Boy ~

Thanked 5,073 Times in 3,294 Posts
Groans: 190
Groaned at 82 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post

These people hide behind Islam and the laws that protect religion in these countries. And because of that, the western population blames Islam.
not only for these reasons, don't forget that terrorists and suicide bombers who attack innocents do what they do in the name of Islam although their actions isn't related to Islam not even by 1%

Vcoderz Community > Community Forums > Vcoderz Lobby

Tags
banning, burka