Vcoderz Community
We create websites that have it all, beauty & brains
Lebanon Web Design & Development - Coddict

Go Back   Vcoderz Community > Community Forums > Sports Basement

Notices

Sports Basement Ŧ News & info about lebanese and international leagues & championships. ŧ

Closed Thread

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-18-2009   #101
TAREKŪ
~ Golden Boy ~

Thanked 5,073 Times in 3,294 Posts
Groans: 190
Groaned at 82 Times in 72 Posts

Recent signing Michael Owen marked his Manchester United debut with the winning goal in a 3-2 victory over a Malaysia XI in Kuala Lumpur.

Owen struck in the second half of the clash in the Bukit Jalil Stadium, after United had been pegged back to 2-2 after Wayne Rooney and Nani had given them a two-goal cushion.

Manager Sir Alex Ferguson told MUTV: "It was as we expected, they were full of enthusiasm, energy and speed and caught us on the counter-attack a couple of times. It was a very open match.

"The energy was always going to drop off in second half because it was our first game. It became a very difficult game after that.

"Michael's different from our other players, he's always searching for space, he's always in and around the box. He reacted well for his goal."

Meanwhile, United have confirmed that they will a second match against a Malaysia XI in Kuala Lumpur on Monday.

Their original fixture for that day in Indonesia had been cancelled following a deadly bomb blast in Jakarta this week.

Old 07-19-2009   #102
TAREKŪ
~ Golden Boy ~

Manchester United striker Michael Owen is convinced that he can resurrect his international career.

The 29-year-old has failed to start an England game since the friendly international against Austria in November 2007.

A succession of injuries and loss of form while at Newcastle United persuaded Fabio Capello that Owen was not worthy of selection but the striker believes his move to United will help him to earn an England recall.

"I feel like I did eight years ago," he insisted. "There are so many players on my wavelength at United - world-class players. I just know this move is going to be fantastic for me.

"When you sign for Manchester United there are that many things you think about - the players alongside you, playing at Old Trafford, the men who are going to create chances for you.

"Then you wake up the following morning and realise you could win the league or the Champions League. It just goes on and on. It's a very exciting prospect.

"I've never given up on England. I've been in every preliminary squad before it's pared down. I've had a letter every time. I know from that the manager is keeping an eye on me."
Old 07-20-2009   #103
TAREKŪ
~ Golden Boy ~

Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard has admitted that he is not sure whether Blues skipper John Terry will remain with the club and reject the chance to join Manchester City.

England captain Terry has been the subject of a couple of offers from the big-spending Citizens and Lampard accepts that his colleague may have had his head turned.

He told The Times: "I don't know what he will do. I've been in John's position, but everyone at the club wants him to stay.

"I had an option to leave last summer, to go with a manager who I love, but it came at a time in my life that, maybe, just wasn't right.

"But the situation made me think an awful lot. It wasn't an easy decision, either and I don't think people should criticise John.

"The fact is you can never take away what he's done for Chelsea. He'll always be a legend. I hope and I'm confident that, whatever happens, he will continue to be considered a legend here.

"People should respect his right to choose. When you're a successful player this kind of thing is going to happen and then you have to make a decision.

"John's a very honourable man and it doesn't come down to money and things like that.

"I know John. I know he'll be thinking about what's the right thing to do as a player and, in the longer term, for his career.

"No-one should doubt that John wants to be successful. No-one should doubt that John is a winner. This is not just about the money and people shouldn't try to make it that black and white.

"It's understandable because it's Manchester City who have come in, but it's up to John what happens."
Old 07-21-2009   #104
TAREKŪ
~ Golden Boy ~

Fergie: Ronaldo best in world

Sir Alex Ferguson has not ruled out the possibility of Cristiano Ronaldo returning to Manchester United in the future.

The Portugal international's much-anticipated transfer to Real Madrid was finally completed earlier this summer, but Ferguson insists the 24-year-old had an enjoyable time at Old Trafford.

"His best is yet to come because he's just 24," Ferguson was quoted as saying in the Guardian.

"I'll be very proud when I see him at his best because we had a part to play in it. He came to the right club at the right part of his career.

"He could have gone to Real Madrid or Barcelona as a boy but he came to the right club and he appreciates that.

"And he may come back, you never know. I don't see it happening if things go wrong at Real Madrid necessarily, but he loved Manchester United so it may happen.

"He loved the club. If you look at the six years he had with us, he never missed training and he was never injured. He always played. He was fantastic.

"It wasn't easy to see him leave. I had a good chat with the boy about it but he had made up his mind. Last year he was begging me to let him go but this year it was a sensible discussion.

"There's no doubt it's a huge loss. It's a challenge for us because it won't be the same without Ronaldo. He's the best player in this world of ours - by absolutely miles.

"He's streets ahead of Lionel Messi, streets ahead of Kaka. Look at his figures. They're unbelievable. The attempts he had on goal, the attacks in the penalty box, his positions, his headers, his shots."
Old 07-22-2009   #105
TAREKŪ
~ Golden Boy ~

Default Drogba Is Staying

Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti has hinted that Didier Drogba is on the verge of signing a new three-year deal with the club.

For the past 12 months the 31-year-old Ivory Coast international has spoken regularly about his desire to leave Stamford Bridge but now seems set to commit his long-term future to the Blues.

After Drogba had scored in Tuesday's 2-0 pre-season friendly win against Internazionale in the United States, Ancelotti said: "Drogba is a very important player for us and we want him to play for Chelsea.

"He's irreplaceable, as no other striker in the world can do the same job. I've spoken with Drogba and he's told me he's happy to stay."

Drogba has scored 94 goals in 216 games for Chelsea since joining the west London side from Marseille five years ago.

Meanwhile, Ancelotti was quick to praise teenage striker Daniel Sturridge who moved to Stamford Bridge from Manchester City earlier in the summer.

Sturridge scored in Saturday's friendly against Seattle Sounders, and Ancelotti said of the 19-year-old: "He has good quality and we expect him to have a good season.

"To score a goal in his first game is good for him and for us. He has a lot of quality as a striker who is quick and intelligent with his movement for others - I like that.

"He's not a star. He's a very good young player and we believe in young players at this club. He will be in the first team this season."
Old 07-27-2009   #106
TAREKŪ
~ Golden Boy ~

Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti is delighted that John Terry has finally ended speculation about his future by confirming that he will be staying at Stamford Bridge.

Manchester City had been keen to sign the defender this summer but Terry, after remaining silent on the matter for several weeks, finally confirmed his plans before the club's 2-0 win over Club America in the World Football Challenge on Sunday.

Former AC Milan boss Ancelotti said of Terry's decision: "For sure I'm happy, but it's not only me. He is happy, too, as are the club and the fans because he is very important for the team.

"I was sure he'd stay. I know John Terry, I know his professionalism and I always believed that his future was with the club.

"I think we are working very well at the start of this pre-season. The players are improving in confidence as they play, and we played very well.

"But we still have to improve, as this is only the beginning. Now, we will arrive at tougher matches, but I think that we are ready to play."
Old 07-30-2009   #107
TAREKŪ
~ Golden Boy ~

Real Madrid summer recruit Kaka has confirmed that his move to the Bernabeu from AC Milan was agreed on during the January transfer window.

The 27-year-old Brazil superstar was linked with a switch to Manchester City at the beginning of the year, but Kaka has stated that there was never any chance of him heading to England.

He told AS: "It wasn't exactly Florentino Perez who called, because he wasn't the president at the time For me it was a surprise all the fuss they created around it.

"It was the first time Milan wanted to sell me and Silvio Berlusconi assured me that it was only for financial reasons.

"They were days of a lot of emotion, but I knew that everything was already decided.

"Whenever I received offers from whatever team, I always passed to Milan the responsibility of deciding on my departure. They were a club I loved and at which I was always happy.

"In six years there were offers, including some from Real Madrid, but Milan decided to open the door for me this year.

"First with City, but I then told them that I would only leave to go to Real Madrid."
Old 08-01-2009   #108
TAREKŪ
~ Golden Boy ~

AC Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani has confirmed that his club have rejected an initial offer from Chelsea for Italy midfielder Andrea Pirlo.

Galliani claims that the Blues offered a cash-plus-player deal, including Peru striker Claudio Pizarro, who spent last season on loan at Werder Bremen.

He told Sky Italia: "The offer of Ģ7million plus Pizarro is not satisfactory and with these conditions, Pirlo is not for sale."

Rossoneri supremo Silvio Berlusconi had earlier dismissed renewed speculation linking Azzurri ace Pirlo with an imminent move to Stamford Bridge.

The 30-year-old Italy international is rumoured to be keen to follow former Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti to England, but Berlusconi insisted that no deal had been agreed.

He told the Italian media: "They are all stories, there's no truth at all.

"I don't know anything and I haven't spoken with (general manager) Adriano Galliani. I only found this out from journalists and I am surprised."

Pirlo started his career with Brescia, before joining Internazionale in 1998.

He struggled to make his mark with the Nerazzurri and was loaned out to both Reggina and former club Brescia, before switching to AC Milan in 2001.

Pirlo has won well over 50 caps for Italy to date and was a member of the side who won the 2006 World Cup final on penalties against France.
Old 08-10-2009   #109
TAREKŪ
~ Golden Boy ~

Barcelona have hinted that they will not spend a huge fee to try and tempt Arsenal to part with Spain international midfielder Cesc Fabregas.

The 22-year-old started his career with Barca, before heading to England to link up with the Gunners six years ago.

However, Fabregas has been heavily linked with a return to his homeland, despite Arsenal making it clear that they do not want to sell.

Barca sporting director Txiki Begiristain told Marca: "It depends on how much we want to spend. If we spend a lot of money, it is possible (to bid for Fabregas).

"We do not know how much it will be yet. We have not asked Arsenal. If the amount is too high, we will not try.

"We find it difficult to improve what we have and that is the reality.

"Improving a team that has won a treble is difficult and trying to improve dramatically can get you into trouble.

"Any new player must be compatible with the plans of the coach. Here the views of Pep Guardiola are critical."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

ya3eni
Old 08-19-2009   #110
TAREKŪ
~ Golden Boy ~

Now That The Leagues have restarted I will close this thread and open another one about the other leagues

Thread Closed

Vcoderz Community > Community Forums > Sports Basement

Tags
football, general, news, thread