Health & Science Room « Everything related to health, safety and science »

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-13-2007   #1
Ghnadine
Registered Member

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Meanings of Dreams

Guys I have an Interesting Question... Do you believe in your dreams "you know the one you dream when you sleep" do you believe that sometimes dreams try to tell you something. ???

Whats your comment.....

Old 01-13-2007   #2
abousoun
Registered Member

Thanked 3,964 Times in 1,663 Posts
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Meanings of Dreams

"What if nothing exists and we're all in somebody's dream?"
Woody Allen
Old 01-13-2007   #3
abousoun
Registered Member

Not only do dreams offer a private means to explore inner reality and to gain unique, undeniable, personal experiences, but there is overwhelming evidence that they can be used to improve waking life, often immeasurably, supporting Shakespeare's age-old claim by MacBeth that "sleep and dreams are chief nourishers in life's feast."

Dreams offer opportunities for fun, adventure, wish fulfillment, creativity, deep personal insight and healing, and all this at no cost and with no line-ups!
Old 01-13-2007   #4
abousoun
Registered Member

Many humans hold different views on the purpose of dreams. Some believe dreams serve no purpose at all, while others believe they can help humans understand their subconscious thought processes to overcome psychological difficulties. Carl Jung, for instance, believed that dreams help us compensate for the parts in our “total personality” that are underdeveloped in our waking life. This was proved otherwise by Calvin Hall’s two week dream series from students and ranging age groups’ dream journals showing that our psyche in dreams is the same as our conscious behavior.

There is a very popular theory that dreams help us solve problems we are currently dealing with in our lives, especially psychological problems. For this reason some humans consult a dream dictionary and psychologists may question a patient about their dreams. However it is interesting to note that this may not be helpful even if you are trying to discover some intrinsic meaning to your remembered dreams. It’s been found that dreams relate with age, sex, strain, and preoccupations, thus, given a large amount of dreams over a series of decades and you can get a profile of a human’s mind that is “almost as individualized and accurate as its fingerprints.” However, evidence also leads against this as, though a dream may reflect upon a problem you are having (and you may even come to a solution once you’ve woken and thought about it), they almost never present a plausible solution during the dream sequence.

Another theory is that dreams are a remnant of our evolutionary past where they have served as a mental training ground for the daily life and death struggles. And yet, David Foulkes claims dreams are a “cognitive achievement,” or that we actually develop the ability to dream. Also, the amount of time spent dreaming while asleep, for any given species, is directly related to the degree of safety from predators. “The more dangerous life is, the less a species can afford to dream.” Dr. Ramon Greenberg and Dr. Chester Pearlman add that dreaming sleep “appears in species that show increasing abilities to assimilate unusual information in to the nervous system.”

There is also a theory that dreams serve an important role in brain development. Infant humans, who sleep sixteen to eightteen hours a day, will spend 50% of this time dreaming. It is thought that providing a internal source of “intense stimulation” helps the maturation of the human’s nervous system as well as preparing it to cope with the external stimulations it will have to face in its future. While this would suggest that we would no longer need to dream as adults it is also believe that dreaming changes functions to become a learning and memorizing tool, a kind of “housekeeping.”

Related is another belief that dreaming is a kind of “clearing out the software” or simply cleaning the day’s accumulation of psychological stress, though, very little that we dream about has to do with our daily lives. There is the “day residue,” the tiny bit leftover from our waking moments first described by Freud. Otherwise, our dreams often have little base in reality.

This leads to another theory that dreams are simply a made up story that have no purpose, physiologically or psychologically. Simply because humans have the propensity to think does not mean that all our thoughts have functions. In fact, the average human only remembers about 1% of the four to six dreams he or she has per sleep period. Dr. Allan Hobson and Dr. Robert McCarely agree that dreams are simple, meaningless biological mechanisms and nothing more. They believe that dreaming is caused by a “dream state generator” in the brain stem where neurons are activated by random impulses, producing equally random sensory output within the nervous system. The forebrain then takes this information and produces the dream in an attempt to rationalize the meaningless. Hobson also theorizes that dreaming is simply a mechanism to stimulate the neural circuits which must somehow be necessary to normal conscious brain functioning
Old 01-13-2007   #5
lebanese_a
Registered Member

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghnadine
Guys I have an Interesting Question... Do you believe in your dreams "you know the one you dream when you sleep" do you believe that sometimes dreams try to tell you something. ???

Whats your comment.....
Umh I don't but there is actually something strange in my moms dreams, when she dreams something bad l sob7 (ya3neh just before she wakes up) something bad happens, par exemple we where once in rhodos w she had this kind of dreams involving me, so kel l nhar kenit khayfeh 3layeh, at night in the shower z7ateit za7ta kent ra7et. that's the first time, I kept not beleiving her, w she kept having those dreams w yssir osass zghireh, untill one day we woke up she told us that she dreamt of a blond girl in the ER, so tda7akeit 3laya ta chba3et, we finish launch, what's on LBCI? May Chidiac victim of a bomb!!! so mine wa2ta I don't really beleive her dreams bass I "don't don't beleive them" whatever that means!
lebanese_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007   #6
Tawa

Thanked 3,365 Times in 1,740 Posts
Groans: 29
Groaned at 44 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghnadine
"you know the one you dream when you sleep"
Well... wala marra sheiyif 7elem 2ana wwei3eh... metel hawdeh li ba3refoon 3adatan...

Dreams are only pictures and voices in the brain when our body is asleep, and our brain is the only part who's fonctioning... hooeh wel me3deh wel 2aleb akid...

That's all I can say...
Old 01-13-2007   #7
abousoun
Registered Member

okey let's talk science a little bit:
Sleep passes in 5 stages ... i don't want to go threw them right now
but usually the dream occurs in the REM stage (Rapid Eye movement stage)

and as regards the duration of a dream:
Dreams can vary in length depending on how long we have slept. When we first go to sleep it takes us about an hour to have our first dream, which lasts about 15 minutes on the average. From then on we have a dream about every hour with the time shortening the more sleep we have. By the end of the night, some of our dreams can last nearly 45 minutes or more.

How does science learn things like this?

Neuro-scanning devices and methods, such as electroencephalograms can be used to determine changes in brain frequencey, function, and operation. The way the brain changes from regular sleep to dream-sleep can clearly be seen during one of such scans.

From my part ... I rarely remember my dreams (including the vivid dreams )
Old 01-13-2007   #8
Tawa

Thanked 3,365 Times in 1,740 Posts
Groans: 29
Groaned at 44 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by abousoun
okey let's talk science a little bit:
Sleep passes in 5 stages ... i don't want to go threw them right now
but usually the dream occurs in the REM stage (Rapid Eye movement stage)

and as regards the duration of a dream:
Dreams can vary in length depending on how long we have slept. When we first go to sleep it takes us about an hour to have our first dream, which lasts about 15 minutes on the average. From then on we have a dream about every hour with the time shortening the more sleep we have. By the end of the night, some of our dreams can last nearly 45 minutes or more.

How does science learn things like this?

Neuro-scanning devices and methods, such as electroencephalograms can be used to determine changes in brain frequencey, function, and operation. The way the brain changes from regular sleep to dream-sleep can clearly be seen during one of such scans.

From my part ... I rarely remember my dreams (including the vivid dreams )
Are you sure of these information man? cause I heared that dreams lasts seconds, but I didn't believe it 2aslan... so yours if very logical...
Old 01-13-2007   #9
cacharel
Registered Member

yup i do!
well, ana all my drems byit7a2a2o w specialy bad dream !!!! w my family saro ykhafo min my dreams! w ana kamen
bekrah nem w e7lam!
so yes i do
cacharel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007   #10
Ghnadine
Registered Member

Thanks guys the info was Great I'll tell you something wierd that not alot of people know but its ok you see I don't dream that much and when I do my dreams happen. I'll give you an example I was 16 when I dreamt of my Grandmother saying goodbye and telling me to tell everone that everything will be fine. and the next day my Granmother died this was in 1993. 2005 before Christmas I dreamt of our Car disappearing and us in hospital this was 14/12/2005 the next day we had a car accident my husband and I and the car was drafted so the car went ba7. Thats why I ask about dreams its scary sometimes.

Vcoderz Community > Community Forums > Health & Science Room

Tags
dreams, meanings