Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-08-2009   #1
mr_j
Community Moderator

Thanked 2,076 Times in 1,156 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 34 Times in 27 Posts
Default some science behind losing weight

well I am going to make this thread to tell you all what I personnaly know about losing weight and exercicing, and I hope that other members will share some of their knowledge and findings here

first lets discuss the most important nutrients and sources of energry we have

1) carbohydrates(sugar sugar is mainly used in anaerobic exercices, anaerobic exercice is an exercice that takes little time but high intensity such as lifting weight or sprinting. sugar is also the only nutrient your brain will take.

2)fat: this is the main weight problem, fat stored in fat cells, we want to get rid of this, fat is consumed in aerobic exercices, meaning an exercice that has low intensity and long duration such as speed walking or slow jogging or lifting light weight for a prolonged period of time, lifting heavy weights and running will do little to rid you of fat because your body will use sugar stores for these exercices

3) proteins: proteins make up the contractile elements of your muscles as well as some blood and skin compoents, when your body hungers(in exercices or in starvation) it will degrade proteins and fat, you must be careful during diets not to lose protein weight first because it is unhealthy you will become weaker second because it is useless, proteins are not making you fat, fat cells are

so if you want to go on a diet, aerobic exercice should be your choice, because that will burn fat, avoid sugar and avoid fat food like french fries and such, when you eat sugar, your body will store fat and consume the sugar, this is mainly why sugar makes us overweight(as far as I found out, I need a better reference on this info)

do not skip meals: we've all been there, you want to go on a diet and lose too much weight fast, and you think to yourself "I can skip dinner and go right to bed" or skip breakfast, well this is wrong, when you go for like 12 hours without food, your body will activate "the starvation mode" it will minimize the consumption of energy, you'll feel hungry lazy tired you want to stay in bed and overall not good the calories your body is using per hour will drop, it's not because your body does not hae energy, no you have enough energy to run around england...twice but your body is fooled into thinking the ice age is back and you need to save up to stay days without food. so to avoid this, don't skip meals, eat breakfast lunch and dinner, but eat like a human being overeating is the problem

you need to be patient: in dieting, this is the hardest part, we go on a diet for 2 weeks, we don't feel a real difference and we quit. you need to remember, you did not gain these extra kilos overnight, and you will not lose them overnight. this weight is the sum of all the late snacks you had, all the chocolat bars, pizzas beer etc... all the excess you ever ate is right there. fat cells are like the second most efficient source of energy after nuclear power, a kilo is 7000 calory, that's 32 snicker bars or 40 cans of sugar pepsi, imagine, it's a month of eating sugars for each kilo you want to lose, so you need to be persistent, stick to it for several weeks and month

don't go for overkill: you start a diet all excited, you walk 3 hours the first day, do 50 pushups, you eat very little, you go for diet bread which you hate, you follow these strict diet rules of 50 grams of butter for breakfast w 2 grams of olive w ma ba3ref chou... this is overkill, this excitement won't last, 2 weeks and you'll quit. so don't do that, be reasonnable, just quit french fries, icecream chocolat etc... switch from sugar pepsi to diet(sugar pepsi guys, I know you hate diet and you wonder how people can even drink it, I was there trust me 2 weeks drinking diet pepsi and you'll start loving it)walk 3 to 4 hours a week(a month from doing that your legs will become strong enough to go for 10 hours a week easy, I'm there now but all in time ) and finaly don't eat like a monster, and you don't have to deny yourself normal rations of food or skip any meals.

next post I'll cover some more details... I'm late for class

mr_j is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr_j For This Useful Post:
-t-o-n-y- (05-08-2009), SysTaMatIcS (04-28-2011)
Old 05-08-2009   #2
TAREK®
~ Golden Boy ~

Thanked 5,073 Times in 3,294 Posts
Groans: 190
Groaned at 82 Times in 72 Posts

ok, I go to gym 5 days a week, I run on the treadmill, on the bicycle, lift weights, and I lost 5 kilos in 1 month without taking anything
TAREK® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009   #3
mr_j
Community Moderator

differentt types of exercice:

exercices can be classified to 3 categories(according to me ) you hve endurance exercices, strenghts exercices and exercice to lose weight.

if you want to make muscles, strenghts exercice is the way to go, (I am focusing on arm muscles especialy) you need to pick a weight that you can lift for maximum 15 times for 4 to 5 sets (4*15) while resting 2 to 5 min between sets, and when that weight becomes easy for you, increase the weight and keep doing the same thing.the weights should be chosen in a way that 15 is the absolute maximum that you can do. when your muscles are lifting something too heavy for them, this signals them to increase the contractile elements(meaning they will grow) remember that you need a good protein diet to grow muscles and plenty of sleep because muscles grow when you are resting and not when you are using them.

don't use these numbers as a rule each person has his own body, his own diet and I'm not in a position to give advices about gym training(God knows I hate sports) lifting weights can cause muscle injury, especialy if you want to go for the limit of your power, so consult a trainer or a doctor to do so

to lose fat when training you must pick relativly light weights and lift them for like 40 times. losing fat requires light exercices for prolonged periods so that's the logic

endurance requires medium weights to lift for serveral times, it's somewhere between light exercice and strenghts training (I am not going to provide numbers since each person has a diffrent body and I'm not a trainer) the logic behind endurance is that, when exercicing, glucose is degraded to lactic acid in the absence of oxygen. lactic acid in exercices is what causes pain in your muscles and forces you to stop when it acumulates. endurance exercice stimulates your body to overcome this by increasing the blood vessels that are irrigating that muscle. with more blood vessels more oxygen may arrive to the muscle avoiding the formation of lactic acid. and if the acid does form, it would be transported to outside that muscle to other parts of the body where it will be degraded.
Old 05-10-2009   #4
-t-o-n-y-
Registered Member

Groans: 15
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

well i go to gym 3 times a week....i should loose a bit of fat but the coach gave me a program with exercises each one for 12 or 10 times with 3 sets (except me3de w kam chaghle gher 25 times 3 sets) .....and 10 min bicycle before starting and 30 min walking in the end on treadmill, and NOT running to keep my heart rate between 120 and 140 dunno the meaning but the treadmill shows me the number ...if it is high i lower the speed....
-t-o-n-y- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009   #5
SysTaMatIcS
Registered Member

Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,546 Posts
Groans: 186
Groaned at 198 Times in 120 Posts

Started goin to gym since few days .
whats up with the fuel running low all the time .
i hardly do few things , and the power inside is gone , its like there no thrusting power left , i cant do anything before taking a long rest.
Old 05-11-2009   #6
mr_j
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by -t-o-n-y- View Post
well i go to gym 3 times a week....i should loose a bit of fat but the coach gave me a program with exercises each one for 12 or 10 times with 3 sets (except me3de w kam chaghle gher 25 times 3 sets) .....and 10 min bicycle before starting and 30 min walking in the end on treadmill, and NOT running to keep my heart rate between 120 and 140 dunno the meaning but the treadmill shows me the number ...if it is high i lower the speed....
the slower your heart beats, the more fat you burn, the faster your heart goes, the more sugar and less fat you burn

it's a question of percentages, if your heart goes too fast then your body will start using up stored sugars for energy instead of degrading fat cells. treadmills are not really accurate in measuring heart beats. bet7ot osba3ak w it gives a number, I don't really trust it

anyway like I said, do what the coach says in the sets and repeats thingy, your exercice sounds like a balaned one for muscle building and losing weight

personnaly I am exercicing alone at home lifting weights for my hands(5 KG 16 times for 6 sets with 5 min break between them), and at night I go walking for 2 hours straight at a speed of 5 km per hour it's been 8 days now, I am not sure if I am doing the right thing, I guess I will find out in a month or so

edit: I'm gonna start going to the uni gym

another edit: I went to the gym, just got out, even my finger nails are hurting

ouch

Last edited by mr_j; 05-11-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-27-2011   #7
mr_j
Community Moderator

alright, I'm starting a diet(again) and I did some more research and found some more useful information

1) it takes about 20 min for your stomach to signal your brain that you ate, so eat little, and if you still feel hungry wait about 20 min, it will go away the problem with this 20 min is that it probably is the reason we eat too much to begin with, you eat and you get full, and it takes you 20 min to know that

2) eat several small meals a day(like once every 2 to 3 hours), my diet plan is nos ab3a of anything every 3 hours, by the end of the day, I would have eaten like... one rghif and a half(the whole day) and because you eat every 2 or 3 hours you don't feel hungry or get dizzy or anything, and you don't get lazy, and your metabolism stays high(so your body does not shut down and start storing fat(as discussed in the primary post)

3) of course avoid icecream, chocolat and everything else when on a diet(and if you can, avoid them all the time, if you're not on a diet now they will put you on one)

4) avoid potatoes, all forms of potatoes, fried or maslou2 or whatever, potatoes are like pure sugar...

5)of course, no fast food

do some exercice to help speed things up, I walk 80 min every single day, you don't have to do that, but do something at least...
Old 04-28-2011   #8
SysTaMatIcS
Registered Member

Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,546 Posts
Groans: 186
Groaned at 198 Times in 120 Posts

Well , since i started working at a patisserie i think that i gained 5 to 10 kgs , im now between 90 and 95 kgs and my height is 175 , so i think im on the edge between overweight and obese , i cant stop eating icecream and cake at work (especially that they are free no matter how much i eat ), and i cant stop eating fast food , or heavy food (cz food is one of the pleasures of the life to me ) , i wonder if i fast walk for an hour a day would help me lose weight, or its useless if i still eat the same?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_j View Post
alright, I'm starting a diet(again) and I did some more research and found some more useful information

1) it takes about 20 min for your stomach to signal your brain that you ate, so eat little, and if you still feel hungry wait about 20 min, it will go away the problem with this 20 min is that it probably is the reason we eat too much to begin with, you eat and you get full, and it takes you 20 min to know that

2) eat several small meals a day(like once every 2 to 3 hours), my diet plan is nos ab3a of anything every 3 hours, by the end of the day, I would have eaten like... one rghif and a half(the whole day) and because you eat every 2 or 3 hours you don't feel hungry or get dizzy or anything, and you don't get lazy, and your metabolism stays high(so your body does not shut down and start storing fat(as discussed in the primary post)

3) of course avoid icecream, chocolat and everything else when on a diet(and if you can, avoid them all the time, if you're not on a diet now they will put you on one)

4) avoid potatoes, all forms of potatoes, fried or maslou2 or whatever, potatoes are like pure sugar...

5)of course, no fast food

do some exercice to help speed things up, I walk 80 min every single day, you don't have to do that, but do something at least...
What about people who work in a pattisery and cant resist everyday the delecious icecream and cakes . btw the 20 minutes rule is real , i learnt it from work , when im eating a sandwish and i see a customer coming to buy , i stop eating and sell him whatever he needs , then i go back to eating ,suddenly im not that hungry anymore.
mr_j (04-28-2011)
Old 04-28-2011   #9
mr_j
Community Moderator

you have to resist, I have been walking for 2 month before I started my diet last week... the walking did not do anything alone
The Following User Says Thank You to mr_j For This Useful Post:
SysTaMatIcS (04-29-2011)
Old 04-29-2011   #10
mr_j
Community Moderator

let me add, do not try and lose more than a kilo per week, that is what the health experts say. a kilo a week would be pure fat being lost. if you are losing more, there is a good chance that the extra weight is muscle, other proteins and water. losing muscles is bad.
The Following User Says Thank You to mr_j For This Useful Post:
SysTaMatIcS (04-29-2011)

Vcoderz Community > Community Forums > Health & Science Room

Tags
losing, science, weight