Vcoderz Lobby « Everything and everywhere. »

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-28-2010   #1
Genius704
Registered Member

Groans: 9
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thumbs down Why ilsah3eb ilbnene kharj ilkab

Political, religious and sexual behaviors may be reflections of intelligence, a new study finds.

Evolutionary psychologist Satoshi Kanazawa at the the London School of Economics and Political Science correlated data on these behaviors with IQ from a large national U.S. sample and found that, on average, people who identified as liberal and atheist had higher IQs. This applied also to sexual exclusivity in men, but not in women. The findings will be published in the March 2010 issue of Social Psychology Quarterly.

The IQ differences, while statistically significant, are not stunning -- on the order of 6 to 11 points -- and the data should not be used to stereotype or make assumptions about people, experts say. But they show how certain patterns of identifying with particular ideologies develop, and how some people's behaviors come to be.
The reasoning is that sexual exclusivity in men, liberalism and atheism all go against what would be expected given humans' evolutionary past. In other words, none of these traits would have benefited our early human ancestors, but higher intelligence may be associated with them.

If you want to read more please click the link.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/0...nce/index.html

Kain (03-02-2010), moqawem (03-04-2010)
Old 03-01-2010   #2
Sheriff Ice
info@sync.com.lb

Thanked 2,391 Times in 1,306 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 16 Times in 15 Posts

These Studies and research proves nothing, previous studies has shown the opposite,
ba3den if they are saying like this, why lebanese scientist and doctors are the best world wide?!!
Sexual activity, atheist has nothing with level of thinking, i think the greatest ppl in the Human History were religious and lived in ages where even thinking about sex was possible!!!
abousoun (03-01-2010)
Old 03-01-2010   #3
Kain
Registered Member

Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,439 Posts
Groans: 47
Groaned at 13 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Ice View Post
These Studies and research proves nothing, previous studies has shown the opposite,
ba3den if they are saying like this, why lebanese scientist and doctors are the best world wide?!!
Sexual activity, atheist has nothing with level of thinking, i think the greatest ppl in the Human History were religious and lived in ages where even thinking about sex was possible!!!
Ok i hate this I already wrote the answer but closed the page by mistake when i was finished and lost everything

anyway...

I find this study very believable. Though the article on cnn may prove to be a bit biased but they do make some good points.

It's only normal for atheists to have generally higher IQs than religious people. Atheists usually are educated people, while religious people can come from all classes. In the average IQ of atheists will be higher than the average IQ of religious people.

But of course this does not mean that atheism is the "true calling" Nothing in the article proves that.

However, there's an interesting point that comes up....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The article on cnn
Bailey also said that these preferences may stem from a desire to show superiority or elitism, which also has to do with IQ. In fact, aligning oneself with "unconventional" philosophies such as liberalism or atheism may be "ways to communicate to everyone that you're pretty smart," he said.
In red: hay latshe la 7ada bel forum

Last edited by Kain; 03-01-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kain For This Useful Post:
abousoun (03-01-2010)
Old 03-01-2010   #4
abousoun
Registered Member

Thanked 3,964 Times in 1,663 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Ice View Post
why lebanese doctors are the best world wide?!!
خجّـلتنـا يا زلمي :P

Thank You ...
-t-o-n-y- (03-01-2010), 7alewi (03-01-2010), Justin (03-07-2010), Kain (03-01-2010), mr_j (03-02-2010), TAREK® (03-01-2010), Tawa (03-01-2010)
Old 03-01-2010   #5
xcoder
Ma ghayro

Thanked 4,201 Times in 2,361 Posts
Groans: 12
Groaned at 18 Times in 11 Posts

I honestly don't find the real point behind this study.
Why it was made on individuals while we already have nations adopting this or that theory and the results are crystal clear whether we like them or not.
Old 03-02-2010   #6
Genius704
Registered Member

My opinion..
You only mentioned the religion part. But you neglected what the study included people who follow politics, which was the main reason why i shared this article here. Anyways, in my opinion, i don't think that they should've included religion, but i kind of agree with them about politics. Usually atheists and liberals are dedicated to their passions and goals in life, and they don't necessarily waste their time deciding who should they vote for or who should they worship. So atheists and liberals would have more time and brain space to dedicate to science and other general knowledge, that distinguish them from people who are busy filling up that space with rather "unimportant" data and information.
Thanks.. :P
mr_j (03-02-2010), xcoder (03-02-2010)
Old 03-02-2010   #7
Genius704
Registered Member

Well the thread title is just perfect for this article too...

ذكرت صحيفة "الشرق الأوسط" اللندنية الثلاثاء 2-3-2010 أن حفلة عرس لبناني في ألمانيا، حضرها 800 ضيف قد انقلبت إلى معركة كبرى بالسكاكين شارك فيها ما بين 200 و300 شخص.

http://www.alarabiya.net/articles/20...02/101906.html
mr_j (03-02-2010), SysTaMatIcS (03-02-2010)
Old 03-02-2010   #8
Kain
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius704 View Post
My opinion..
You only mentioned the religion part. But you neglected what the study included people who follow politics, which was the main reason why i shared this article here. Anyways, in my opinion, i don't think that they should've included religion, but i kind of agree with them about politics. Usually atheists and liberals are dedicated to their passions and goals in life, and they don't necessarily waste their time deciding who should they vote for or who should they worship.
Worship and voting rights are not a waste of time Anyone can clearly balance out and dedicate their life to one aspect. Shou jeb wasting time lal 2ossa?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius704
So atheists and liberals would have more time and brain space to dedicate to science and other general knowledge, that distinguish them from people who are busy filling up that space with rather "unimportant" data and information.
God's existence is hardly an unimportant issue. Be that for atheists or believers. I've never seen an atheist who wasn't interested in debating God's existence Which is why i quote that part of the article.

Furthermore i clearly mentioned that the study was taken in the U.S. Which is why you should take into account the social background of those people.

Had it been done in iran for example things would have been quite different.

Being atheist or religious has nothing to do with the IQ. That was my point. It's just that atheists naturally come from an educated background.
If you had believers from that same educated background they could easily balance out their life and worry about science just like an atheist would and possibly more. Shou iran's nuclear scientists are wasting their time worshiping God ya3ne?? No they were clearly able to balance out their belief and dedicate their life to nuclear science.

And "brain space" has nothing to do with it. Ma fi 7ada 3abba mokho la mtala

Believing in God does not and should not hinder man's progress. Get the facts straight.

(How that belief in God is exploited by oppressive systems is a whole other matter.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius704
Thanks.. :P
Anytime

edit: The study itself was a comparison between atheists vs people who believe in God. shou jeye enta 3am bet2elle we took religion into question??????!?!?!?!?!

La2 7abibe hek ma byenfa3 badak te2ra lli 3am n2oolo la tefham shou 2elna 3an l article. I'm not against what was stated in the article as to the comparison between the average IQ of atheists and the average IQ of believers. That's only normal considering the educational background of both sides. I'm against your inadequate and lacking interpretation of the results of the study that involved expressions such as "waste of time" and "brain space".

Last edited by Kain; 03-02-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010   #9
Genius704
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Worship and voting rights are not a waste of time Anyone can clearly balance out and dedicate their life to one aspect. Shou jeb wasting time lal 2ossa?

God's existence is hardly an unimportant issue. Be that for atheists or believers. I've never seen an atheist who wasn't interested in debating God's existence Which is why i quote that part of the article.

Furthermore i clearly mentioned that the study was taken in the U.S. Which is why you should take into account the social background of those people.

Had it been done in iran for example things would have been quite different.

Being atheist or religious has nothing to do with the IQ. That was my point. It's just that atheists naturally come from an educated background.
If you had believers from that same educated background they could easily balance out their life and worry about science just like an atheist would and possibly more. Shou iran's nuclear scientists are wasting their time worshiping God ya3ne?? No they were clearly able to balance out their belief and dedicate their life to nuclear science.

And "brain space" has nothing to do with it. Ma fi 7ada 3abba mokho la mtala

Believing in God does not and should not hinder man's progress. Get the facts straight.

(How that belief in God is exploited by oppressive systems is a whole other matter.)

Anytime

edit: The study itself was a comparison between atheists vs people who believe in God. shou jeye enta 3am bet2elle we took religion into question??????!?!?!?!?!

La2 7abibe hek ma byenfa3 badak te2ra lli 3am n2oolo la tefham shou 2elna 3an l article. I'm not against what was stated in the article as to the comparison between the average IQ of atheists and the average IQ of believers. That's only normal considering the educational background of both sides. I'm against your inadequate and lacking interpretation of the results of the study that involved expressions such as "waste of time" and "brain space".
Apparently you got a lot of time on your hand to write all that, i didn't read all what you wrote in this quote. I specifically said that you(everyone) who replied earlier only talked about religion and didn't mention politics which why i shared the article.
Thanks..
Old 03-02-2010   #10
Kain
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius704 View Post
Apparently you got a lot of time on your hand to write all that, i didn't read all what you wrote in this quote. I specifically said that you(everyone) who replied earlier only talked about religion and didn't mention politics which why i shared the article.
Thanks..
w i replied strictly to your interpretation which i consider inadequate and i stated why.
w Thank YOU for the study btw

Vcoderz Community > Community Forums > Vcoderz Lobby

Tags
ilbnene, ilkab, ilsah3eb, kharj