Vcoderz Community
We create websites that have it all, beauty & brains
Lebanon Web Design & Development - Coddict

Go Back   Vcoderz Community > Computer Zone > Computers & Information Technologies

Notices

Computers & Information Technologies Everything related to computers and internet.

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-29-2011   #1
xcoder
Ma ghayro

Thanked 4,201 Times in 2,361 Posts
Groans: 12
Groaned at 18 Times in 11 Posts
Default Editors VS IDEs

Hey everyone,

This forum has all type of programmers, gaming, desktop, mobile, web... ranging from newbies to professionals.

The common point between all those programmers is that they all code.
And coding is never a simple task, it requires much brain cycles & memory to get the job done the best way possible.

Programmers have to worry about so many things while coding to make sure they get a high quality product, such as having their code human-friendly for easy maintenance and expandability. This is achieved by having the script well indented, naming conventions, make sure their code is split into chunks to improve reusability; documented for referencing...

The above are important standards of good programming, yet a big headache for the programmer if they don't have the convenient environment.

Some programmers prefer editors such as TextMate, Notepad++, jEdit... because they want to keep things as simple as possible while programming.
All they need is auto-indentation and good highlighting.
Other programmers prefer IDEs such as Eclipse, NetBeans, VisualStudio... because they believe it provides better environment to keep them in control without doing much since most IDEs provide documentation, code reference with auto-complete, error checkers, embedded DBMS managers and much more.

I am a web developer and system administrator and i code in both server-side and client-side languages such as PHP, SQL, JavaScript, HTML, CSS... I use Unix and Linux systems for programming and hosting my scripts on my local servers for testing and online for production. Thus, i rely much on command line interfaces.
Five months ago i moved from Notepad++ which served me well for over than three years to NetBeans as my needs increased and i had the feeling that i was losing precious time on repetitive tasks and misplaced tools such as fixing indentation manually, have the terminal in a second window, google for documentation and many other similar things that can make you lose time and focus from the task you're performing.
NetBeans made my life easier by solving most of the problems i had with editors.

Some might argue that IDEs are slower than editors especially java-based ones such as NetBeans. This is correct, discredits IDEs but justified.
IDEs are featured editors that have so many services enabled as you may not ask for motorcycle features with a bicycle weight.
Still, with the proper hardware you will hardly notice any difference.

So, what editors or IDEs do you use?
Objectively, what are its negative and positive sides?
Are you looking for alternatives?

Old 12-30-2011   #2
Google

Thanked 1,100 Times in 651 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts

XCode 4 is the best IDE I've seen so far (Disadvantage: only on MAC).
Visual studio 2010 is also great (Disadvantage: only on Windows).
Eclipse 3.7 and NetBeans 6.9, I consider them both at the same level of awesomeness. I use them mostly for JAVA and Python related projects. (Disadvantage: they are slow compared to XCode and Visual Studio + NetBeans is now Oracle ).
The IDE I use the most is GEdit. It is simple, light, fast and awesome at the same time. I use it with some plugins for auto-completion, smart spacing...etc
At last, I cannot forget VI the editor that always save my ass on the slow Lebanese connections when I'm working over SSH.

Last edited by Google; 12-30-2011 at 04:53 AM.
Google is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Google For This Useful Post:
xcoder (12-30-2011)

Vcoderz Community > Computer Zone > Computers & Information Technologies

Tags
editors, ides